Back in June, Kristy and I each determined our summer must-haves and set individual budgets for those items. As a teacher, I don’t have an enormous clothing budget to begin with, but I really try to limit the amount of money I spend on summer clothing because I can rarely wear those items to work. Typically, I tend to seek out a good summer shoe, a couple pair of cute shorts, and a summer dress or two that can transition to the fall when I return to work.
Thus, I set my budget at $150/month and determined that what I really wanted this summer was: 1) a few pairs of cute printed shorts, 2) cute summer dresses, 3) a nude flat, 4) a summer hat and 5) a maxi dress to wear to and from the pool, 6) and a fun statement necklace.
1) Printed Shorts: $24
- Gap Ikat Canvas Short: $0 My mom sent me these shorts as a little school’s out for summer celebratory gift! (Thanks, Mom!)
- Old Navy Women’s Printed Twill Shorts: $17 (in store) The day after the polka dot items (shorts, pants, cardigan, sweater, and tank) showed up on Old Navy’s site I booked it to my local store. Unfortunately, the location only had the shorts, but fortunately they fit well and are super fun to style. (According to an IG friend, the pants fit really well too, so I am thinking of ordering them for fall!) This is how I wore the shorts this weekend:
- Target Merona® Women’s Classic Chino Short: $7 I found these on the sale rack at my local Target and have worn them with a striped tee and a neutral top as styled here.
2) Summer Dresses: $14
- Dee & Ray Mona Day Dress: $7 This was a lucky find at Last Chance during a 40% off dresses sale! When I compiled my summer must-haves inspiration board I chose this dress from Piperlime as an example, so I was beyond thrilled when I unearthed it off the racks at Last Chance. It is feminine and light-weight, so it’s great for summer, and with a cute cardigan it will transition well when I return to work. Here is how I have styled it recently:
- Donna Morgan Colorblock Dress: $7 This was another lucky find at Last Chance during a 40% off dresses sale! So far, I’ve styled it with fuchsia heels and belt (similar style), but I have failed to take pictures when wearing this dress. (Terrible fashion blogger, I know!) One downside of this dress is that it wrinkles like crazy, so while it is the perfect length and style for work, the wrinkle factor does not make it very practical for a full day of teaching. Normally, this would upset me and I would return the dress, but since it was such a bargain I am fine with it being a dress for events unrelated to work.
3) Neutral Flat: $18
- Me Too flats (similar style): Again, I lucked out and found a pair of neutral flats on the cheap at Last Chance. I spent the better part of the spring digging through the size sevens at Last Chance in hopes of finding a cute pair of Me Toos but had not had any luck. I kid you not, I went to Last Chance within days of posting the inspiration board and found these shoes. (Come to think of it, the day I found these shoes is the same day I found the two dresses above. Clearly, the fashion gods granted my summer-must have wishes!) The peep toe makes them the perfect summer shoe and the neutral color means I can pair them with nearly all my summer wares. And, because summery weather lingers here in AZ I will be able to wear them long into the fall! Here is how I have styled them recently:
4) A summer hat and 5) a maxi dress: $40
- Target Mossimo Supply Co. Tan Shine Floppy Hat: $15 This hat serves the exact purpose I intended for it: it protects my hair and face from the summer sun when we are at the pool and is something I can wear, and not feel a fool, in and out of places as I run errands before or after swimming.
- Target Mossimo® Womens V-Neck Maxi Dress: $25 (special price in store; normally $29.99) In another bad blogging move, I do not have a picture of me in this hat or dress, but trust me they are adorable! (stay tuned, I feel a future outfit post coming on!) A pair of sunnies completes a rather glamorous poolside look!
6) Statement Necklace: $26
- Bauble Bar Spearmint Bauble Bib: I created an account with Bauble Bar and received $10 off this necklace (my first order)! I am in love with the necklace: the color is perfect and the shape and size adds just the right amount of quirk to any outfit. While this necklace pairs well with tons of summery outfits, it will carry over into all seasons as an extra punch of color! Here is how I’ve styled it recently:
Grand Total: $122
I am super excited about all the fun summer wares and bargains I have found! I have about three weeks before school starts up, so unless I come across summery goods at a great price I am now focusing my shopping and clothing dollars towards items that I can wear throughout the upcoming school year!
Stay tuned for Kristy’s recap on Thursday!